The impact of transport on our social and economic life made it become the corner stone of the modern society. As Arnold J. Toynbee appreciated, during the short lasting of a single life, the modern technique placed the whole world in sudden connection, by removing the distances. All the peoples, cultures, religious communities on the globe achieved a direct physical contact with each other, today, for the first time in history.
The present development stage of the civilization has an unpreceding increase of the material and spiritual exchange amount, as a main feature, and this involves an increase of the number of travelers, moving, due to various reasons, to and from all the Earth areas. Within this environment, competing with the other transport means, the air transport becomes more and more outstanding, offering:
• A peak of safety
• Maximum speed
• The highest rank of comfort.
As far as the air transport industry is concerned, the success is not easy to come ; it is the result of a multitude of intricate aeronautical activities, before, during and following to the actual performance of the flight.
Within these aeronautical activities, the air traffic services play a leading part, as they mean:
• The air traffic control within the Romanian airspace and on the airport manoeuvring surface;
• The aeronautical information;
• The aeronautical weather information;
• The aeronautical fixed and mobile telecommunication;
• The technical protection of the air navigation;
• The alert in view of the search and rescue for the aircraft in emergency conditions.
The definite aim of the air traffic services is to provide all the airspace users with the maximum freedom of movement, under safety and economic efficiency conditions, at the same time protecting the environment and fulfilling the national safety requirements.